Intense Pulse Light Treatment (IPL Treatment)
Why come to us for IPL treatment?
Not all IPL machines are equivalent, nor are treatments always performed by professionally trained staff. We pride ourselves in offering all patients unparalleled technology. At our state of the art facility we choose to treat our patients with the StarLux IPL system. The StarLux machine stands alone as the world’s most powerful IPL system, there are very few of these machines used in Western Australia. This means we can provide you with superior treatment results that are both quick and comfortable.
All IPL treatments are performed by a Registered Nurse. Our Registered Nurses have years of experience in the field of plastic and cosmetic surgery as well as formal qualifications in performing IPL as well as many other non-invasive treatments.
A comprehensive consultation is provided, allowing you to make a thoroughly informed decision. Your skin will be assessed as will your suitability for treatment with IPL.
Before any IPL treatments are performed, skin test patches are necessary. This will ensure your safety and achieve the best outcome possible.
What is IPL and how does IPL work?
IPL stands for Intense Pulsed Light. It is a revolutionary non-invasive treatment that utilizes wavelengths of light to effectively treat specific skin concerns and unwanted facial or body hair. The machine has a flash lamp, this is an extremely bright light source that is placed over the skin. The shorter dangerous wave lengths are filtered out.
IPL is able to treat skin and hair as the light is attracted to melanin (the dark pigment in your hair and skin) and the red colour in your blood vessels without affecting the surrounding skin. Therefore making IPL a safe and very effective method of reducing or removing the following skin concerns:
- Pigmented lesions such as freckles, sunspots and melasma.
- Facial blood vessels such as spider veins and broken capillaries or facial flushing and Rosacea.
- Unwanted facial and body hair
Some reasons why IPL may not be suitable for you
- Recent sunburn or unprotected sun exposure
- Severe dermatitis or eczema
- History of seizures
- Active infections
- Photo sensitising medications (Roaccutane, Aspirin, Antihistamines)
- Herpes 1 or 2 (within the treatment area)
- Very dark skin
How will my skin react after IPL treatment?
- Most patients will experience mild – moderate redness and a sunburn like sensation lasting 2 – 48 hours.
- After hair removal the skin can appear spotty. This is inflammation within the follicle and will last 2- 24 hours.
- After treatment of pigmented lesions the lesion will turn darker and fade or shed within 7 – 21 days.
- After treatment of vascular lesions the lesion will either disappear immediately or lighten within 2 weeks. A treated vessel may reappear requiring another treatment.
Unfortunately there are some potential complications with IPL treatment. We do perform skin test spots, which allow us to evaluate the skin’s response, significantly reducing potential complications.
- Blistering may sometimes occur, usually it will settle down within 2 hours with ice application.
- Prolonged redness and swelling lasting up to 4 days may occur.
- Darker patches of pigment on the skin may occur. This can last from 2 weeks up to 1 year. You are more at risk if you have a darker skin type. There is a special cream we can use to reduce this should it occur.
- Whiter patches on the skin can occur. This can last from 2 weeks up to 1 year though also has the potential to be permanent. Again you are more at risk if you have a darker skin type.
Is your skin suitable for IPL treatment?
In order to select the correct skin type for IPL treatment, the table below is used to classify skin according to its melanin (pigment) content and the skin’s reaction to the sun. The lighter the skin type, the more appropriate it is for IPL treatment.
|Skin Type||Classification||Colour||Indication for IPL|
|I||Always burns easily and never tans||White||Best skin for IPL|
|II||Burns easily and tans minimally||White||Good skin for IPL|
|III||Sometimes burns and tans gradually||White-light brown||Good skin for IPL|
|IV||Burns minimally and always tans to moderate brown||Moderate brown||Acceptable skin for IPL|
|V||Rarely burns, naturally dark skin||Dark brown||Not recommended for IPL|
|VI||Never burns, very dark skin||Black||N/A|
Expected Hair Reduction
Hair grows in 3 phases. IPL can only treat the hair within one of these phases called anagen. This is when the hair is growing and there are actively dividing cells in the hair follicle.
At any given time, there is only a certain percentage of hair in the anagen growing phase. This is why IPL must be performed over a number of sessions with a certain time span between treatments to achieve the best result. However, we can only achieve approximately 80% hair reduction; no IPL system can achieve 100% hair removal.
The number of sessions required depends on your hair and skin colour.
|Hair Colour||Skin Colour||Estimated no. of sessions|
|Dark||I, II & III||4 – 5 sessions|
|Medium||I, II & III||5 – 6 sessions|
|Light||I, II & III||8 – 10 sessions|
|Dark||IV||6 – 8 sessions|
|Medium||IV||8 – 10 sessions|
Pigmented Lesions – Freckles/Sunspots
A clearer more even skin is a younger looking skin. IPL is the answer for an effective non-invasive solution to a fresher, even complexion. Photo rejuvenation with IPL will provide superior results for many skin concerns such as:
- Pigmented spots caused by sun or age
- Generalised redness
Pigmented lesions may be present on your skin due to a number of reasons:
- Genetics, such as in the case of freckling
- Sunspots may be present as a result of photo damage from UV rays.
- Melasma may be present as a result of hormonal changes, pregnancy or the contraceptive pill
Pigmentation is commonly more predominant and exacerbated on those areas of our bodies that are consistently exposed to the damaging effects of UV rays; you may have unwanted pigmentation on any of the following areas:
IPL will effectively remove or significantly lighten pigmentation as melanin will absorb the light, energy, become heat energy and as a result destroy the melanin containing skin cell. Initially the treated pigmentation will appear darker, however within approximately 2 – 4 weeks this will slough away and a clearer complexion will become visible. You may require multiple sessions until the desired result is achieved as well as maintenance treatments. An effective skin care regime is also essential to maintain results, especially an effective sunscreen.
Time span between treatments
The length of time the hair is in anagen phase will differ on each region of the body. This determines the ideal time between each treatment session.
|Region||Time between sessions|
|Under arms||6 weeks|
|Arms||10 – 12 weeks|
|Legs||10 – 12 weeks|
|Back||10 – 12 weeks|
After IPL Hair Removal
- The hair will continue to grow for 2 – 3 weeks (this is the treated hair being pushed out of the follicle) and will then shed.
- You will have a hair free period for 3 – 6 weeks.
- New growth will occur, though there will be a certain percentage of hairs that don’t grow back. This percentage will increase with each session.
- Between treatments, hair can be shaved but not waxed or tweezed.
Pre & Post treatment recommendation
1.1.1. Pre Treatment
- Discontinue sun tanning 4 weeks prior to your treatment.
- Do not use fake tan 1- 2 weeks prior to your treatment.
- Use an SPF 30 daily.
- If having IPL hair removal, do not wax, tweeze or pluck the hair for 4 weeks prior to your treatment. Shaving or depilatory creams are fine and you will need to shave the site prior to your IPL session.
- If you have a history of herpes close to the area being treated it’s recommended you take antiviral medication before the treatment.
1.1.2. Post Treatment
- A sunburn like sensation is expected for 6 – 12 hours after treatment. You may apply ice if this is uncomfortable.
- Your skin may be temperature sensitive, so don’t use hot water for your shower or bath.
- Please protect your skin from the sun!
- Do not exfoliate your skin for 1 week after the treatment.
- Your skin may be sensitive to certain skin care products so please use the products recommended or provided for you.
- Do not pick blisters or skin crusting this may lead to a scar!
If you have any questions or concerns, please call the office on (08) 9381 9300
Test Patch $50.00
1.1.3. HAIR REMOVAL
|IPL Full Legs||$650.00|
|IPL Lower Leg (knee to ankle)||$300.00|
|IPL Upper Leg (knee to bikini line)||$400.00|
|IPL Bikini Line (sides only)||$150.00|
|IPL Full Bikini (sides & underneath)||$200.00|
|IPL Brazilian (or all off)||$280.00|
|IPL Under Arm||$150.00|
|IPL Full Arm||$400.00|
|IPL Lower Arm||$250.00|
|IPL Upper Arm||$250.00|
|IPL Upper Lip||$80.00|
|IPL Eyebrows (centre only)||$50.00|
|IPL Men’s Full Back IPL||$600.00|
|IPL Men’s Half Back IPL||$300.00|
|IPL Men’s Chest||$300.00|
|IPL Men’s Stomach||$200.00|
|IPL Men’s Shoulders||$200.00|
|IPL Men’s Buttocks||$250.00|
|IPL Men’s Neck||$200.00|
|IPL Men’s Beard||$200.00|
1.1.4. PHOTO REJUVENATION
|Full Face Rejuvenation||$350.00|
|Half Face Rejuvenation||$175.00|
|Three Quarter Face Rejuvenation||$300.00|
|Quarter Face Rejuvenation||$100.00|
|Full Arms Rejuvenation||$400.00|
|Neck & Decolletage Rejuvenation||$450.00|